Sunday, May 23, 2010

National Vertical Marathon 2010
















(View of One Raffles Place & Group photo at Event Board)


















(NVM2010 postcard and handbook)



It is my 6th consecutive year taking part in the NTU National Vertical Marathon this year.













This year’s race was interesting as I have WR and JC who joined their vertical marathon for the first time and the building that we are conquering is changed to One Raffles Place (formerly known as OUB Centre) standing at 63 storey with a height of 282m and a rooftop garden. The other interesting thing is I was scheduled to be Detail 1 for the race. haha.

In the early morning on 23May10, I took the first train at 6.03am to Raffles Place via Jurong East station to report for my race with WR who is in Detail 3 instead. As I was scheduled to Detail1, I have to report at 6.30am to 6.45am as my race starts around 7+am. This year, I was not able to be grouped in the same detail with KT and WR as NTU has implemented a new system for detailing and for time tracking. Nevertheless, I was still looking forward to my race.














(Registration booth to collect Number Bib)

















(Event Board + a staircase sample)



After reporting, the first few details were gathered at the holding area waiting for briefing and for the race to start. The time round, participants were not allowed to bring any photo capturing device up to the rooftop due to some media rights from OUBC.

After we deposited our belongings at the baggage counter, we moved to the starting point and waited to be flagged off. While waiting at the starting point, I was a bit excited because I have not been scheduled to race vertical marathon in Detail 1 before and it is my first time. This time round, both Men’s and Woman’s Open Category were flagged off at the same timing but climbing 2 different staircases.













(Starting Point)



In my detail 1, there were 4 participants which include me. Most of them are either same age as me, older than me or younger. When our Detail 1 was flagged off, the Male runners climbed the staircase on the left side while the Female runners did it on the right one.

I took a normal pace of climbing up the staircase 2 steps at a time and was leading in front. As I climbed, I told myself since I was already assigned to Detail 1 and was leading, I should do my best to pull the distance apart between me and the runners behind while the oxygen level in the staircase was still fresh. Along the way, the volunteers gave me support by cheering me on to push it further.

After some climb, I finally managed to reach the 63th storey but need to climb another flight of staircase to reach the rooftop. At the last steps of the staircase, I saw lights and many volunteers standing at the finishing line. I speed up a bit and ran to the finishing line with 2 thumbs up as I crossed the finishing line. I was feeling really great as I was probably the first participant of NVM2010 to step onto the new rooftop garden of this building. Hehe :D I finished with a timing of 14:07 min. Although it was not a fast timing compared to others, but I was glad that I was the first participant to reach the top.

I rested for a while, hydrated myself and collected the finisher medal that NTU first introduced in NVM. Really cool. After resting, I walked around to look at the 360 degree panoramic view of the Singapore city from the 64th storey roof and the view was really excellent. Too bad participants were not allowed to bring camera up the roof for phototaking, except the official photographers.

In the process, I also waited for WR to finish his climb up from his Detail 3 and congratulated him for completing his first vertical marathon. Both of us rested a while, walked around the rooftop garden before having a photo shot together by the official photographer. Too bad KT was not able to join us since he was scheduled to climb in a later detail. After that WR and I took a lift down another level to collect our finisher certificate and followed by another lift all the way down to the ground level !!












(Finisher Photo with WR after the race at the Rooftop Garden. I like this photo very much. Thanks to the official photographer)

















(Finisher Photos waiting for participants' collection)



At the ground level, I saw KT and JC and wished them all the best for their climb up and waited for them to finish their race and to take photographs together for some memories. During the wait, WR and I collected our goodie bags and the hardcopy finisher photo that we took at the rooftop. I also took photos of the few NTU side event game stations that were located around the Raffles Place Park. After taking more group photos with WR, KT and JC, I proceed to Raffles City to have lunch and collect the Sundown Marathon Race pack together.

























(Side event games)

























(Group Photos)



Overall, the NVM 2010 was really a successful one. The Event Tee, finisher photographs, finisher medal and certificate were nice designed. No forgetting that almost everything were well planned and prepared, except for some lack of helper at the starting point to direct the runners to the staircase. 3 Thumbs up for the NVM2010 committee. :D
See you at the Top again in NVM2011

















(Nice Event T-shirt + Finisher medal issued for the 1st time in NVM)














(Previous years NVM collar pins from 2005 to 2009)



Video of NVM2010






Video of Post Run interview with NVM1998-2010: Gino Ng


No comments: