Saturday, July 17, 2010

Afternoon Jog to Thow Kwang Pottery Jungle












(Main entrance of Thow Kwang Pottery Jungle from Jalan Bahar)



Today, I missed my morning jog so in the end I compensated with 1 afternoon jog instead to the Thow Kwang Pottery Jungle (陶光) which I have not visited before.

I completed a 9km jog starting to CCK, running past Old Choa Chu Kang Road and left turn to Jalan Bahar and followed the path of Lorong Tawas, beside the PIE towards Tuas to get to Pottery Jungle. I was rushing there just before the place close for the day and before the sky gets dark.

When I reached there, I was surprised to see so many colourful pottery after I entered their main entrance and the scenery was great as I felt I was brought back to another different environment like a jungle filled with pottery. No wonder it is called “Pottery Jungle” The air is fresh and the environment is a relaxing one too. As soon as I cooled down, I started to use my camera to take snapshots of the pottery and the scenery over there.
















































































(All the nice & colourful pottery after I entered their main entrance)

















(1 interesting piece of work that I noticed. ha)



After that I visited the one and only surviving 40m long, 5m width Dragon Kiln remained in Singapore there where it can be used to fire up to 5000 pieces of ceramic work in one session. The Thow Kwang’s dragon kiln was built in 1940 in China and bought over to Singapore in 1965.


The Dragon Kiln is divided into 3 sectors:
1. the front firing chamer
2. The main chamber where ceramic pieces are placed inside for firing
3. The chimney at the tail end where the smoke is released.














(Dragon Kiln)














(Front Firing Chamber)
















(Main Chamber where ceramic pieces are placed inside for firing)



Soon after I seen the dragon kiln, I proceed on to take a look at the pottery displayed at their main store on sale. There are really quite a lot of interesting & colourful pottery where I can find there and I bought a few souvenirs beside I left the place.
























































(other pieces of ceramic work on sale)




























(other parts of the pottery jungle. there is also a pond there!!)














(Souvenir that I bought before I left the place)



Overall, I found Thow Kwang a really nice place for a short weekend getaway although it is a bit Ulu. I enjoyed the visit and it is certainly worth a visit which I can recommend. I did read from another blogger’s website that Thow Kwang is occupying the land on a temporary lease, so it is uncertain how long the dragon kiln will be around as it cannot be moved if the company moves.




























(brochure of Pottery jungle)
















(Jogging route that I took)



More about Thow Kwang Pottery Jungle(陶光)

Thow Kwang Industry Pte Ltd
85, Lorong Tawas (off Jalan Bahar) Singapore 639823

Opening Hours: 9am to 5pm daily

http://www.tkpotteryjungle.com




A brief info on Thow Kwang Industry

Thow Kwang Industry was found in 1965 and started out producing consumer potterywares like latex cups, water jars and flower pots. Currently, it worked together with other pottery industries in China and Asean countries to develop and transfer traditional and Chinese ceramic work to Singapore to promote understanding and appreciation of porcelain and ceramics.



Other blogger site on Pottery Jungle


http://sgblogs.com/entry/visit-firing-thow-kwang-dragon-kiln/251362


http://wordpress.filmgrain.com/?p=484


Others nice photoshots site on Pottery Jungle


http://picasaweb.google.com/wenbin44/ThowKwangPotteryCommunity#


http://hooky3659.photoshelter.com/gallery/Thow-Kwang-Dragon-Kiln/G0000BapfNbiQ29k/P0000TE3DK6uyjSw

No comments: